Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Day 25: Ponferrada to Trabadelo

Ooh... a 6:30am start with little sleep and less coffee! Brutal.

All I wanted to do was get the heck out of dodge. Leave behind the Croatian and her severe sleep apnea, sleep yelling and oh, so loud, farting!




For hours, I walked in total darkness.  At 8am, the birds sang sweetly in the fog, but there was no sign of sunshine... on the Camino, or in my heart! Even cafe con leche couldn't revive my Camino spirit.

The day was long.  We stopped every 8km to eat and rest. My feet were great.  My teeth are even doing better (touch wood).










In these mountains, villages were super quaint and villagers, friendly.  I love the smell of fall in the air, Colorful leaves on the ground, chestnuts bursting forth - launching themselves at me as I strolled.

At the 24km point, we committed to a private room and booked it online - guaranteeing sleep, I hoped.  It was in Trabadelo, 9km away.  Thank you booking.com for making my life easier!



My feet walked 34km according to the app... but 49,000 steps, or 26 miles today, in reality.  And they don't feel bad at all.  Getting stronger?!

NOTE: I'm a bit of a ninja when it comes to finding fruiting fig trees. In the dark this morning and again this afternoon I smelled out ripe figs and stuffed my pockets full. Problem was, I developed some sort of sensitivity.  As Pierre pointed out, about #14, I began experiencing a stinging sensation on my tongue.... kinda like someone had cleaned it thoroughly with sandpaper. Shortly after, while I continued to eat figs (in denial)  the rash appeared in my legs.  Itchy and burning! Crap! Seriously, just when I stopped an endless parade of ibuprofen to the stomach.... I need to take benedryl?!




No comments: