Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Day 17: Carriòn de Las Condes to Moratinos

A freaking long, straight stretch! 17.5km without water, coffee, or bathrooms.

For me the first 2 hours are in the dark. Shooting stars and the sounds of silence so profound that I could hear the field mice scurry away as came close. It's not a bad life!

People marveled as I tucked into tortilla and sausage, washing it down with 2 cups of coffee. I often wonder why others don't seem to be as hungry as me.









I continued on.  Honestly though, the best part of the morning is just before and just after sunrise. The afternoon was harder, and hotter.



Further down the trail, I met Marcelo. He was reserving a spot in the next village and asked if he could do the same for me. And so it was done.  I toddled down the road and eventually arrived in a lovely clean hostal, with a bed in a room for 3. Our roommate was yet to materialize. 

Kay arrived late.  She walks slowly so reserves a room to ensure she has a place each night.  We liked her.  She was charming and sweet. By the time dinner was over she had convinced us to share with her at the next destination, tomorrow night. Based on her extensive review readings, a hostel was chosen.  Friendly, no reports of bedbugs etc. Personally, I don't spend a lot of time with reviews. Staff changes, people have good and bad days, bed bugs reported in September are NOT all going to be there still ... or no bed bugs in September is no guarantee, no bed bugs now. 

I drifted off to sleep, happy.

My feet... the honest truth:
For days I have walked  20-35km on hard, flat surfaces.  My boots don't rub my skin, but the constant pressure exerted on my heels has resulted in a purple-pink discoloration just above my soles at the back and sides of both feet.  And today, more than yesterday, the pain is quite limiting and blisters have begun to appear. So it's time to do more than tape!

I'm resorting to a Pilgrim solution.  One that blogs and forums mentioned, but I've now had the "pleasure" of witnessing for myself too.

In short, you thread a needle through the blister, drawing the cotton in and then it the other side... leaving it dangling on both ends, so the blister can't re-bubble. (Look away now if feet, or deflated blisters bother you!)


Tomorrow, I will be back to hiking at full speed.  And by full speed, I mean the reduced speed that comes with accumulating exhaustion and a body that is being tested daily... and knows it will be tested again tomorrow!

No comments: