Friday, September 25, 2015

Saint Jean Pied-de-Port

I started the day,  bright eyed and bushy tailed in Pamplona. Breakfast at my hotel turned out to be chance encounter with a couple from New Mexico. Good peeps, enjoyable company and I'll admit, it was nice to have a conversation where I wasn't butchering someone else's language!

Next up... getting lost in the Citadel on the way to the bus station.  Hmmmm... well in my defense, no real sign posts and map on the grounds and even though I knew the direction to go in, there are all these walls (fortification of the city) that made it impossible to navigate using my homing pigeon skills.

At the bus station I met John from Iowa and had the pleasure of his company all the way to Saint Jean, as well as during my first French lunch in about 16 years!

Pilgrims, let me give you my honest opinion about the bus: Conda runs a bus 3-4x/day out of Pamplona, straight to Saint Jean. It costs €22 and runs roughly the Camino route through Zubiri, Roncesvalles and then Valearn (alternate, lower route through Pyrenees that is suggested for winter pilgrims). The road is single lane each direction, narrow and heck-of-a-winding path!

Both John and I struggled to hold breakfast down and we were sitting in the front of the bus. The driver occupied both lanes during most of the hairpin turns... And there were lots!  We past many a pilgrim along the way and got a good glimpse into what I will be like for us in the coming days.  The mountains are challenging.  Steep terrain, slippery when wet, dark in the forest even during the day. I became afraid for the first time, of what I had signed up for.

Saint Jean is every bit the picture perfect postcard town that the internet had lead me to belive it was.  Very much a Basque village at the foot of the Pyrenees. Steep streets,  gorgeous views, old and filled with character. Everything is small!










I spent the rest of the day taking pictures and checking in at the Camino pilgrim office.  Today I got the first stamp in my pilgrim passport! As well as some vital information regarding weather and being prepared with food in my pack. Apparently to only travel with snacks is fool hardy. Knowing the location of the emergency huts and being able to hold up there with plenty of food,  is important. Yeah... nothing to give me anxiety about!  <breathe...sigh>

I go to bed tonight happy to be in this clean and quiet hotel.  My hair is clean, even if most of my clothes are not. LOL tomorrow is the start of the adventure - the experience I came here for.

Still keeping an open mind...

No comments: