Thursday, September 24, 2015

Pamplona

I woke to the sound of furniture being hauled around on hard floors. My first thought this morning was "how rude, doesn't anyone care if I'm sleeping? "

As it turned out, it was 9am! I had slept 13 hours.

Within 15 minutes I was ready to head out for the day. Yes, when you have zero choices on what to wear and your toiletry kit contains just toothbrush, deodorant and sunscreen, it doesn't take too long to get ready. Thrusting the window open, I was prepared to see overcast sky and feel the cooler autumn temperature. Instead blue sky awaited. Unfortunately my neighbor, who I could have sworn had coughed up both of his lungs in the night, was also hanging out of his window... With his cigarette. It wasn't long before my window was closed again. :(

Realizing I had not eaten or drunk anything in almost 24 hours, I meandered toward a busier looking area of town and found a cafe where an espresso and sandwich roll cost me just €2.70.

Camino friends, this is the interesting/helpful part, for you: On my travels I began noticing shell symbols.  On walls, buildings, signs and set into the paved roads.



An easy to follow trail of these silver emblems were very reassuring.


And possibly the best find of all. .. This Caminoteca!


 Home to all things a pilgrim may have lost, forgotten or used up! Here one could purchase travel sized toilettries, first aid supplies, extra clothes, backpacks, or simply your own shell symbol by way of necklace, bracelet or backpack adornment. I chose necklace. The prices were reasonable, the staff knowledgeable pilgrims, themselves. Honestly, it would have been easier to buy most of my small stuff (hat, buff, toiletries, pants, day pack all here, instead of online over several weeks! )
Don't rely on me for directions though. ... It's somewhere near the Jesus y Mary albergue, between that famous cathedral and Castille square!

Bonus: I took the business card of a massage therapist and acupunturist for when I'm back here in 5 days. He's a kiwi too.

Matt Lachlan Earsman
Maestro de acupuntura
637 557 7271
Matt@earsman.com

I also learned that today, being Thursday, is a sort of a bargain tapas night.  Beer and food for cheap... young people just like myself will be out and about, according to my new friend at the Caminoteca. (I thanked him for his compliment and promised I would check it out.)

Then I walked the city...







Night time in Pamplona is busy. Restaurants and stores re-open after siesta. I walked until I'd read too many menus, then selected a place that was outdoors, had a string trio playing nearby and a menu in English. Mixed salad, bull stew, fresh bread, twice as much wine as I needed... and ice cream! Yeah,  I was going to sleep well again tonight.



Actually, maybe too much wine isn't the best idea in an unfamiliar city, where narrow streets all start looking the same after dark. Thank goodness for Google maps and navigation, or I might still be looking for the Hotel Eslava!










No comments: