Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Camino de Santiago Day 4: Larazoaña to Cizor Minor

It was dark in my room.  From the lower bunk I reached for my t-shirt.  That's not my t-shirt, it's wet. That IS my t-shirt! And my long sleeved top, discarded in the night, my wet hiking pants and my sopping pack! Dear God! Camelback malfunction!!!

There was a puddle on the floor and I was immediately grateful it didn't extend all the way to another pilgrim's stuff.

I dragged my pack into the bathroom to regroup. Everyone else remained asleep. New plan: Wear my other t-shirt, deal with wettish pants,  forego the sleeves today, wear rain shell to protect myself from wet pack and use extra socks as gloves, 'til actual gloves have dried!

Conclusion... I must have forgotten to turn off the camelback at the mouth piece, then rested pack on mouthpiece, opening it and causing drippage to the tune of about a liter.

Just last night at dinner I mentioned I had worn all gear except the rain stuff. I can tick jacket off the list now.  This will not spoil my day!

I set off in the dark,  clad in my hot pink jacket, with hood pulled over my head to protect me from the wet headlamp strap. My crew-sock-clad hands had to relearn how to hold walking poles. For 4km I hiked alone, in the dark, through the woods. For the most part this didn't bother me, although it was difficult to find Camino signs in the dark and at times I doubted myself.




At precisely 7:22 AM, the entire bird population of the woods began singing in chorus. I knew sunrise was imminent and it was now also warm enough to take the socks off my hands. I then found the cafe that had been recommended and indulged in cafe con leche and espinacas tortilla.

Despite this mornings misfortune,  I'm happy and grateful. Not at all annoyed, frustrated or upset.  That's improvement.

I didn't see a single other pilgrim until Chuck and Sue, Tony and John caught up with me at the cafe. It was lovely to see them and we enjoyed each other's now familiar company along the trail to Pamplona. .. a trail that was part concrete, some on the road (with cars), along ridges, past farmyards and on stoney, dusty paths.








After lunch together in the old part of the city,  John checked into his hotel and Sue and Chuck went wandering.  Tony and I headed to the next village and checked into our tranquil albergue in Cizor Menor.

I spent an evening with a group of ladies from around the globe.  We ate salami, sheep cheese and local bread.  Washing it all down with too much red wine.

I floated off to bed around 9 PM - my state of being didn't go unnoticed by Tony - and I swam off to sleep shortly thereafter. 

1 comment:

tc said...

These pics and stories are bringing me much joy! thank you so much for sharing. :-)