Saturday, September 26, 2015

Camino de Santiago Day 1: To Orisson

I had one roommate last night.  Ben, from the UK. A very agreeable young guy who,  at the last minute,  decided to accompany his dad on the Camino. I'm afraid to say that it was I who was the "rustler" in our room.  I took a long time to settle and then needed to climb down from my bunk in the night to pee.

I almost missed breakfast too! At 7:50 AM, I woke and checked the time - Crap! That French innkeeper had been sure to emphasize that breakfast was served ONLY until 8 AM! I ran downstairs in my bare feet... the long table in her lovely kitchen was set for one. Me. I was the last guest left and fretted that I was also late to my own Camino.  She laughter good naturedly and fed me everything she had,  including it seemed,  all the food that others didn't eat before me.  I left with 2 apples and a wedge of cheese "for Camino". Told you she was good natured!

Out the door around 8:35 AM, I preceded down the cobblestoned street, over the wee bridge,  past the Cathedral and up the other side of town. Along the way pausing for the obligatory selfie and meeting my new Camino friends, Danny and Marian... who came to the rescue and took my picture instead!


Danny and Marian were no slow pokes and I enjoyed their pace. The road steep and didn't get less steep for all but 5 minutes of the 2 hour hike.







The Refuge at Orisson was 7km away and a 600 meter climb. We passed a couple of dozen pilgrims along the way.  Nobody passed us. Those training hikes at the foot of the Rockies were certainly paying off.  I felt great... Even if I was red in the face and unaccustomed to the humidity (read; feeling clammy with all the sweat that dampened my clothes! )

I couldn't actually believe it when we arrived at 10:30 AM. Hmmm... what to do for the rest of the day?



Danny and Marian decided to push on for Roncesvalles and I have to say the thought crossed my mind too. Another 18.2 km seemed doable.  After careful consideration I reminded myself why I was here.  To enjoy the journey,  to relax and unwind and specifically at this Refuge because it was highly recommended by my Camino inspiration and wise friend, Teresa. I opted to sit on the deck overlooking pastoral France, glass of wine in hand and new friends at the table. Then spent the next few hours writing,  reading,  chatting and taking pictures. When exactly was the last time I had a half day to myself and no internet!?

Evening brought everyone together for a communal dinner. A little wine,  some introductions,  lots of laughter and Basque food.



I was totally enjoying myself. So much so, I'd nearly forgotten about the promise of sharing a room with those that snore!  

Yeah... 3/6 snored. Badly. The sawing of logs and snarling like wild animals didn't begin until some time after midnight.

Let's start tomorrow's post with tonight's snoring tales! 






No comments: