Saturday, September 05, 2015

Camino De Santiago Guidebook

A Pilgrim's Guide To The Camino De Santiago
By John Brierley

Like most things Camino, the more I research, the more conflicting opinions I find. Some say take a guidebook, some say don't bother. Some recommend one book, while others recommend another.

I eventually settled on John Brierley's guide and purchased it from Amazon a short while ago. It's  smallish and filled with easy to read maps and dining/accommodation info, as all good guides should be. What I really like is the wisdom and perspective the author brings. Tidbits of lessons learned and advice for preparing both your outer self (gear) and your inner self - including a short list of questions that will bring awareness and raise more questions about your own reasons and goals, in regards to your personal Camino experience.

Brierley includes alternate routes and extended routes that encourage you to make the most of the journey... To see more of country, enjoy the Spanish culture and really let go and allow the spiritual experience of the Camino lead you.

I read a little of the book most nights and fall asleep excited to be one day closer to beginning my own Camino journey.


My plan is to fill my head with as much wisdom as possible, then excise the pages needed to travel from St Jean to Burgos. I will travel with just those pages... Each night using them to plan tomorrow's hike and putting the specific pages to that day in a ziplock in my pants pocket, for easy access during the hike. 


No comments: