Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Swedish Lapland: Day 2

I had this plan. Well, the optimistic, zealous Dallice, had the plan. She was going to set an alarm and wake up in the night to see if the sky had cleared and Miss Aurora was present.

Tired, (exhausted) Dallice had another plan though. From lights out to alarm ringing, she was dead to the world. If Aurora showed up, she never knew.

After a delightful breakfast that involved pickled herring and mixing and mingling with other international guests, it was time to get ready and go. Today, we hit Norway. The little port city of Narvik was our destination and there were just 5 people in the group/van. We stopped along the way to scare a few stray reindeer - I mean take their pictures. Also at the "border" between Sweden and Norway ... which is a non-event, in case you are interested.




In Narvik we had a wonderful lunch then hit the War (Peace) Museum.OMG, Im learning a lot about WWII in this area!!!



Norway had declared itself neutral at the start of the war. They were a country who had downsized their military for economic reasons and whether or not they morally took sides, they declared they would not physically aid either side.

Then the Germans attacked Norway and the English (without invitation) stepped in to "help" by planting mines in the water leading up the fjord to the harbor at Navrik.

War was on. The Allies came to the side of Norway and Norway defended itself too with its now ramped up military. There were apparently battles won and lost but then they were occupied by the Germans and capitulated.  If Im not mistaken, Finland, the Italians and Japan now fought alongside the Germans, who really actually wanted to not hurt Norway  - but definitely had their eyes on the Norwegians genes as key to enhancing their Aryan Race project and also wanted control of the iron ore, for steel making purposes. The plan being to "make room" further east of Germany for the master race to spread out and occupy. Of course, they felt the need to get rid of the people currently occupying that land first.

The Soviet Union got involved at some point to and had their own issues defending themselves and their land from the invading 1.5 million German soldiers! POW camps (about 300) littered the landscape of northern Norway and many POW Slavic people died in the area at the hands of torture and conditions of their containment.

The War Museum was really interesting from my point of view. Norway is still REALLY open minded. Trying to view and to teach their people that there are always two sides to the story and war is something that happens when opposing values collide. It's decidedly refreshing even if I can't help but pick sides. And let's face it, none of us are blameless in perceived conflict. One area of the museum features articles and interviews from people who have been captured and tortured during times of war. I left feeling sad and disillusioned but grateful for the chance to view the world from someone elses perspective. Is everyone torturing someone in their own way, for their own reasons, to this day?!! I thought we were better than this?! I thought we had learned from history and from each other.  We are not. We have not.   :-(

More Narvik photos:









On the way back from Narvik, we stopped on the pebbly beach of the fjord. Just enough time to crunch around on some snow, rocks and seaweed... to take in a more peaceful view of Norway.




I must have fallen asleep after that because before I knew it, we were back in Sweden and back at Abisko Tourist Station.

I blogged my thoughts and learned to manage my frustration at not getting my own way, instantly. Yes, I miss the high speed internet we have at home, every time I travel! One of these days I will stop taking it for granted.

And finally... What about that Aurora, eh? Did night #2 reveal anything more than night #1 in the Arctic Circle?

Sadly it did not. Although, I can say we had the best time getting a snowmobile-pulled sleigh ride about 15 mins into the wilderness to set up tripod on a frozen marsh. The sky cleared for about an hour and the full moon remained hidden behind a thick cloud. Conditions did seem perfect... but alas, no aurora to be seen. Instead I have to focus on the fact we had Martina with us tonight. Martina pulled our sleigh, made a fire in the warming tent and served us cinnamon rolls and hot lingonberry juice. Not too shabby!



As for the temp; It was darn well frigid! About -10 C, but with that wind, it felt like closer to -18. I wore about 4 layers, top and bottom each. My electric socks were ok, but I wish they could have been hotter as my tips of toes felt cold after the sleigh ride. The gloves were awesome. I had two neck gaiters on and was thankful and not sure what I would have done without the 3 hats!

Yep, I did good on the gear front! (And that might serve me well if I have to return to the Arctic Circle to give the Aurora Borealis a second chance to wow me.)


No comments: