Saturday, March 28, 2020

Not one for idle hands...

Sometimes I sit down and say to myself "when I have time, I'm going to... (insert wishful thinking here).

On that list, has always been taking old negatives from travel 20+ years ago and somehow getting digital pictures from them, economically. Then archiving those pics so that if the house burns or floods, or the march of time is damaging, I'll still have something to look back on.

Today's the day... or probably more realistically, this is the week!

I had Amazon deliver me a little device called a Kodak Scanza. Not actually sure what I was expecting but I guess in my mind it was going to be bigger... heavier... I dunno!
It's only about 5" in diameter and maybe 7" high.  And it was surprisingly affordable too.


You place the negative in the tray, shove the tray into a slot and bingo! There's the image, in full color on the little screen. Hit save and it puts a copy of that onto the SD card you have already inserted into the back of this device. Then it's just a matter of downloading the files/images from that card to your computer.

No its not professional quality or perfect or even super quick. But when you're on lock-down and most of your work has been suspended, time is more plentiful than money. Besides, I'm just loving the walk down memory lane as I create a back up copy of my travel memories. These pics will serve me well for email or social media and if I ever wanted to, I could probably get small (5x7") sized prints without a problem from the files.

My first project is scanning the 27 rolls of film I had developed after a trip to Africa in 1999. Yep, 1999 was pre-digital photography for the amateur. Heck it was pre-cell phone camera and definitely pre-social media!

Travel was different in those days. No GPS/Google maps, no apps for translation, Uber, hotels.com. Email was something you checked at internet cafes, for a pretty penny, I might add. You never sent an email to your parents to let them know you were ok because it would still be many years before they got on board with that sort of communication. Remember postcards? Yeah, that's what parents got... if they were lucky.

Here are some of  my favorites from a trip that was almost 3 months long, mainly camping and spanned 7 countries, starting in Kenya and ending in Zimbabwe.





















No comments: