Friday, March 13, 2020

Bye Bye Stockholm.. get well soon

I arrived in Stockholm yesterday, later in the afternoon. It was rainy and grey and now a city under siege too.

When I left here early Monday morning, Sweden had a handful of confirmed COVID-19 cases, all of which were attributed to travel from a high risk country. Stockholm was bustling. I was one of many at the Vasa Museum, cafe and on public transit.

The next day, Tuesday, I woke to news in northern Sweden, that Stockholm had confirmed its first "community acquired" case of COVID-19.

Yesterday (Thursday) as I checked into the hotel, I was warned by the only staff member I saw that Stockhold had hit 600+ cases and the US President had announced a travel ban to the US from Sweden and the other 27 Swengen countries. Essentially, if I was not traveling on my US Passport, I would not be going home tomorrow!



What does it look like on the ground?

It's eerily quiet around the city. I don't believe there are "rules" prohibiting shops being open etc, but many of them are closed. Galleries, cafes, souvenir shops that line the cobblestone streets and alleys of Gamla Stan, where I'm staying, are dark.

My Abisko friend, Lynette and I, agreed to meet up for dinner before going our separate ways. The restaurant was half way between my hotel and hers and although a cold night, we both walked to it last night. Polpette is an Italian-Swedish, fusion restaurant. Outside, on a handwritten whiteboard, 30% off dinner

The skeleton staff inside, served us with big smiles. Dinner was spectacular and Lynette and I enjoyed wine and creme brulee too.  They closed the restaurant after we finished... 8pm. The staff were eating the daily special when we left.


My heart goes out to them and business owners here and everywhere. It's obvious the is the beginning of a downturn for them. Tourist and local money... staying home with the people charged with its care.

It was time to stay goodbye and I walked back to my hotel, sorry I couldn't (didn't want to) spend more time exploring this gorgeous city.














No comments: