Saturday, March 07, 2020

First Stop Reykjavik

There are days you think the trip date will never arrive and you lay awake with anticipation.

There are days, more panicky days, you think "holy crap my trip date is almost here". And you're not ready... so you lay awake with trepidation.

Then there is today. All things fall into place. My hardworking, generous and caring team are organized and relaxed. Ready to take the helm so I can leave. They make me feel organized and relaxed too. Do they understand what a gift this is?

The 4 hour rush to finish packing, shower, clean house, paint toenails (yes, you read me correctly and yes, I understand my toes won't see the light of day this trip) and say long goodbyes to Wriggles, is busy but efficient.

Today I venture out into the big wide world alone. An adventure to be had. A challenge to be met. The chance to grow a little.

I've never been to Sweden and despite the headlines plastered with travel warnings about Coronavirus, getting sick is low on my list of anxieties. 10 hours from now, I'll navigate a plane change in Iceland and 3 hours after that, I expect to be bamboozled by catching a train from the airport to city center of Stockholm while sleep deprived. The 1 mile walk from there to the hotel doesn't seem to bother me.

For now the plan is to breathe, sleep and avoid touching my face. Yeah, try as I might, I have been tainted by fearful emails about Coronavirus like everyone else. But, you'll be pleased to know, my luggage doesn't contain a 6 month supply of Theraflu, hand sanitizer and toilet paper... And I'm pretty sure not everyone can say that, if the empty supermarket shelves this week is anything to go by.

Instead my luggage is jam-packed with gear to keep me toasty warm. I'm prepared to brave the cold - but will probably cry if I'm treated to cloudy skies in Swedish Lapland this week!


No comments: