Monday, September 12, 2016

T-6: I have not been overcome by madness... yet.

Captain's log: Monday September 12th

Mark and I leave for Paris on Sunday September 18th @ 8am.

By nights, you'll find me doing such things as squeezing one half-used tube of Vasaline into another half used tube to save space and weight in the 15 lb pack... Then I turn my attention to organizing 4 pairs of coordinated shoes and their corresponding outfits, into a suitcase with wheels.
Days involve putting the finishing touches on market materials and ordering printing/mailing for mid-October, then double-checking to be sure my property management, real estate and house minding teams have everything they need... money, keys, client information and relevant introductions.

The reality of having just 6 days remaining in the U.S. is daunting. Fingers crossed I will stay motivated and organized enough to squeeze in 4 more training hikes/runs. Finger AND toes crossed that the following week in France, indulging in brie and baguette, wine and pastries and all things tasty, will not ruin the good I will have achieved with said training hikes!

I am on the final stretch. Packing for my Camino occurs simultaneously with packing for a week of touristic treats in France. The two bags could not look more different. Once I leave Mark behind in Saint Jean, I will also be leaving the lacy cocktail dress and heels, cute accessories and indulgent toiletries, my computer and my best friend.

Trading in one life I've always dreamed I'd create for myself, for a temporary immersion in the other life that I dream of and deep down, recognize is good for me.

...Sometimes it's hard to remember to breathe. To stop and live today before it becomes tomorrow and that time is lost forever. I guess part of the anxiety about leaving Mark at Saint Jean, is the knowledge that I have come to rely on him to remind me to slow down and enjoy the moment, reflect on the day and be grateful for all that I am, all I have learned today and all that I have in my life.

Could it be that I just stumbled upon another habit that my Camino de Santiago of 2016 is supposed to instill in me?



1 comment:

FlyGirl said...

Can't wait to travel vicariously through you. Safe travels and have a wonderful time.