Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Day 4: Zabaldika to Cezur Menor

A later start today.  We ate breakfast with the Zabaldika crew then hiked into Pamplona - about 8km.

It's a bit of a mixed bag, that hike.  Some trail through the woods, other parts along busy roads, poorer parts of town in the outskirts then you enter the city through the massive stone walls. Thousands of years of history standing in front of you.


On the agenda today was less distance  but more Pamplona.

We ran errands (got new soap!) and visited the Camino store. The guy I met last year was still there.  Funny, he didn't remember me. He'd only met about 200,000 other pilgrims since then!

Of the tourist activities, my favorite were the church and the museum of Navarro.

The church had two alters in an L shape.  It was dripping with gold (my least favorite thing in a church) and smelled so nice.




The museum was a treasure trove of artifacts and art from 100 BC, through the iron age to Roman Era.




We ended in a pastry shop for chocolate treats and walked the 5km out of the city to Cezar Menor.


The alburgue was quiet enough for blogging and getting laundry done. The host even showed me how to dry my socks faster in the drier. Apparently you stuff them with rolled up newspapers... and ignore your father's voice in your head, telling you how you'll start a fire in the drier by using newspaper!

Dinner was a lively affair whereby I spent way too much time trying to convince a British guy that Donald Trump was the exact opposite of the right answer for America. His answer? "I'd take that risk".
I wanted to cut his tongue out with my butter knife... but that's not the Camino spirit, so he will bless another dinner table going forward.
*And that explains Brexit too I think!


1 comment:

Mark said...

It's great to read your updates babe, keep em coming. I could totally picture you having the conversation with the silly Brit.