Thursday, September 29, 2016

Day 6: Mañeru to Villamayor de Montjardìn

First I need to go back a day and explain what last night was like.

I arrived at the albergue in Mañeru and mentioned that I enjoyed my stay so much last year, I came back.  They were thrilled.

The 12 of us (11 men and I) had a thoroughly entertaining, delightful and delicious dinner together, then the host came out and made an announcement. He had a gift for me... his returning guest. I was given the biggest scallop shell, decorated with the name of the hostel (Lurgorri) and dated. He then took a picture with me and I got a great big hug while my new friends clapped.  I was so touched! This place epitomized Camino spirit last year and now, again in 2016.

FYI, Lurgorri means "red earth". A perfect fit for me.

I slept super well and rose earlier than even my alarm. Off went Pierre and I, into the darkness... darting from village to village before any sign of sunrise.  I honestly felt like today wouldn't be too hard!




Of course it's not all smooth sailing in the dark.  Who paints the important part of the arrow around the corner? This was just one challenge... other signs were hidden behind posts or missing entirely.

And well, blisters are indiscriminate about the time of day or lack of light. Better to deal with them quickly though!



We stopped for an obligatory chocolate croissant and kept on until Estella, where a market beckoned.  Today it happened that we purchased pan y jamon y queso. Yep, we made sandwiches with a Swiss army knife and had a picnic in the square.  Then toured the church (100m up the stairs) before leaving Estella bound for Villamayor de Montjardìn.





Free walnuts = free snack.  Only if you can learn to crack them on the side of the road, Flintstones style, with a rock, without smashing them to smithereens. Success!





Ooh, that's right! There was a wee stop at the wine fountain just out of town too. God bless those productive monks!



Once again the afternoon was a bit brutal. Sore feet were over shadowed by increasingly painful tendon in left calf.  I soon realized that getting to Santiago depends on your mental state as much as a physical ability... and I need to get mentally tougher. 

Dear Lord! Does every destination perch itself atop of a steep, gravel road?!




1 comment:

Tony Sieber said...

I remember that place very well! Very nice they where so super happy to see you again! Think Granon is comming up soon( church tower). Remember to be there early to grab at liest 4 matresses, otherwise you will not sleep! Think it was the worst night in my life���� enjoy every bit! Miss you and Camino