Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Day 2: Orisson to Espinal

The app said 18 km to Roncesvalles. That would be a 700 meter climb and steep descent into Spain after that.




I walked mainly with Pierre.  He kept the same  pace and many things about him reminded me of Charles Thabault! Pierre and I didn't stop for breaks, in fact between Orisson and Roncesvalles, we only stopped for pictures. Mostly we walked about 2.5 mph, which was impressive considering the steepness up and extra steepness of the downhill.





At Roncesvalles we braked for our first stamp. It was here we met the stamp Nazi! She was absent from the room when we arrived, so I helped myself to the stamp laying on the counter.  About that time, she emerged and demanded in Spanish that we get in line and fill out paperwork.  Pierre stepped forward to explain we are not staying the night and just wanted the stamp.  She yelled at him to get to the back of the line! As I approached the desk, with all my demographics filled in, she saw that I had the stamp already.... oh, what a glare.  Once outside, Pierre said do you remember that Seinfeld episode about the soup Nazi? I about wetted my pants. She was the stamp Nazi!




Roncesvalles was also the place we stopped for a Pilgrim blessing at the local cathedral... and for coffee at the local cafe, before hitting the trail once again.

Through Burgete we sailed and with 25km under our belts, arrived at the Haizea Alburgue.

Legs tired but in good health and spirits. Ready for my Pilgrim meal.


7:30pm? Kinda late in my opinion! I'll be asleep by 8pm!!!

NOTE: App says I walked 40,802 steps and 21.41 miles.

No comments: