Tuesday, August 29, 2023

More from the Poppe Farm in NZ

 You know I love a good menagerie. We have 1 dog, 2 cats and 3 chickens at our little oasis smack bang in the middle of the city of Boulder. It's all you can do in a small yard, with full-time "other gigs" and City regulations. We are happy... but I'd never say no to more animals in my life!

This is where my sister and her husband raise their kids: Rural Marton area, New Zealand. The Manawatu. With their 4 boys (now mostly adults), 4 cats, hundreds of cows and sheep. Wild birds in every tree, the occasional hare hopping up the farm track, eels in the creek and so much more. The air is filled with the smell of 'fresh' things... grass, poop, wet wool, flowers and a breeze that brings cold rain and uncovers a view of Mt Ruapehu. 

I feel so much gratitude at being invited to stay. (Or did I invite myself?!) And for being included in ALL the things that are happening here daily. It's not an easy life - the work is energy and time consuming and requires the humans to have quite a lot of knowledge, experience and intelligence to be successful. Things are constantly changing, decisions are made quickly and often make the difference between life and death, profit and loss. 

And yet there is a peaceful, healthy and fun aspect to it too. Life on the farm is fulfulling - rewarding because there is always something to smile about, be grateful for and work with.

















This is a NZ Tui bird!





My heart is full of joy. I'm elevated by the colors, sounds, smells and connections I find here. 

No comments: