Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Aim high. Dream big!

Anyone who has known me for all of 2 minutes, knows I'm a HUGE bucket list gal. 

The list, handwritten and within reach of my desk at all times, is about 180 items long.  80 or so have been checked off and each year I make it my mission to check off some more, despite the fact I often add more than that and the Bucket List grows. 

That's life.  Well... my life.  A good life and an intentional one at that. 

This year I targeted Panning for Gold, Attending a Murder Mystery Dinner and Getting Upgraded on a Flight (amongst other things). The first two are done and dusted - both in August! So I had high hopes that this trip to NZ holds the key to my August Bucket List trifecter.

Here I am - made up, dressed up and dragging my carryon suitcase through the airport in heels... Denver to Los Angeles. 


I'm bringing my A-game to impress AirNZ and convince them any spare seat above economy class would be greatly appreciated.  What does it feel like to have more than 22" of legroom?

Ok... so 3 hours later there was some minor drama (trauma) when the AirNZ ticket counter at LAX had no record of me on any flight at all. But a quick call to the staff support desk in actual New Zealand did result in everyone "finding me" once more. And let's face it, Damon at the ticket counter knew I was more than half serious when I asked if I'd have to live here at the airport, near his desk, until this was all sorted. 

Later that night at gate 132, fortune smiled on me once again when I had the distinct pleasure of being upgraded to BUSINESS CLASS.  This is as classy as I've ever been and it will last the whole 13 hour flight.... way longer in my memory and on this blog.  :)

Oh and they called me up front over the intercom to see if I was doing ok after my traumatic entry into flight NZ5. How sweet! (And embarrassing.)


Now... since I've never even peeked behind the curtain that normally separates me from them folks, I of course have to take pictures.

(Plus if there's no pictures, it's like it didn't happen, am I right?)

Yeah... it happened alright!

I'm having the beef with sides of sweet potatoes and steamed green veggies, after all the wee tidbits I'll be given first. 
My attendant is Joey. OMG, I have an attendant!  He was quick to ask what Id like to drink after take off (post champagne of course), to teach me about all my seat area customizations too. I followed the lead of my neighbors who asked him to make up their beds later, and Joey simply said "you just let me know when you are ready". 

Dinner:
Amuse busch - with pureed something, edamame and micrgreens. I'd guess olive oil and lemon too? Plenty of salt.  It did its job and my belly is definitely ready for dinner now!


It was the first of many little treasures to grace my (twice as big as economy) tray table, complete with white table cloth. 
Breakfast....

So... Even though stainless steel eating utensils have been banned in economy class since 9/11 (in an attempt to lower the risk of terrorist/hijacking activities) its apparent that people who fly business class are considered no factor!
Is it sad or shallow that I'm blissfully happy here in Business Class? My seat has lumbar support and I'm allowed to recline it even during take off. My neighbors are blissing out too... and they're friendly. I took their pictures for them also!

It's not like I didn't enjoy flying economy class either.  Flying anywhere and pretty much anyhow, was always exiting and magical for me.  But now I'd be lying if I didn't admit that economy class with 22" of legroom and a circ du soleil performance required in order to get around your neighbors, in the dark, with a full bladder, feels slightly inhumane.  

At the other end of the spectrum, that feeling of not deserving all this attention and service that Business Class has bestowed upon me. (I'll learn to deal, obviously! And yep, a bit of therapy probably wouldn't go astray for this.)

Update: 9/9/23
Business Premier in the way home to the States too! Really lucky and super grateful. 
California.... nearly home!
Touch down in Denver!

A lot has happened while I've been gone and it feels good to be home.  Mark and 5 of our 6 furry/feathered "kids" are waiting. (We lost sweet little Jade to a backyard bear cub attack last week.)



No comments: