Friday, June 22, 2012

Formation Flying Clinic - SUNDAY @ DURANGO


The 9 airplane formation flight plan:

The runway at Pagosa Springs airport was wide enough for a 2 ship element takeoff, so 4 pairs took off, 15 seconds apart.  They flew a loose formation to Durango... about 20 minutes away.


In the 9th aircraft, a very speedy Glasair, was me!  We were "the tail".
Giving the others a 1 minute head-start, we took of and caught up.  Staying about a half mile left of the formation we maneuvered so I could take photos and we could critique the formation.   ;-)








In summary:
I do fine with G-force, but don't have the arm strength to lift the camera to my eye or the window during such intense maneuvers!  I loved the thrill of the fast and maneuverable Glasair.  We got a fabulous view of the flight, often able to see all 8, but the day was hazy - no thanks to that wildfire which was still burning.

The pictures are never quite as good with haze, distance and speed working against me... but you get the idea, right?


The flight to Durango ended with formation taxi to the ramp...


We debriefed the flight on the ground, and in short order, were lined up on the wide Durango Airport runway (KDRO) for the much anticipated, 3-ship element take-off.  I took up co-pilot position in the Lead aircraft.  A Beech 36.


Instead of all returning to Pagosa Springs, individual pilots were cleared to leave the formation one at a time.  As they peeled away, we said silent goodbyes to our new friends, wishing them a safe and pleasant homeward bound flight.





Once back at Pagosa Springs, it was time for me to help load up the N303B and for Mark and I to make haste to Longmont.  It was already hot and we knew a turbulent flight across the mountains lay ahead...
We were not wrong!

Yep... It was an exhausted PIC that landed at Longmont just 1.8 hours later.  I was done!


No comments: