Friday, June 15, 2012

Formation Flying Clinic - SATURDAY FLIGHT 2


Upon entering the FBO conference room after Flight #1, I was met by David and Bret, who had just flown together.  David asked if I would consider taking pics of the aircraft he was flying and I told him if his wingman (Bret) would take me up, I would be honored.

About 10 minutes later, I was right seat in Bret's Mooney!



Bret and David had done some flying together already this weekend and they were very comfortable, very close.  We flew the briefed maneuvers then they coordinated flight to best angle the light and get David into a good position for photos.




Can you believe I actually had to ask David to fly further out from Bret?  The problem with the aircraft being so close, is that I was having trouble capturing him, without also including the wing or elevator of the Mooney.





I am still amazed at the level of skill all the pilots at this Formation Clinic have shown.  The rate they developed formation skills and comfort over the course of just a few days, is enviable.  Never at any time did I feel that Bret or David broke concentration from the task at hand or endangered anyone... And I was pleased at the pictures I was able to take.

Actually I have a very cool set of pics from a high speed continuous shoot that occurred as Bret dropped from one side of David (now the lead) and popped up the other side.  I'm no expert, but believe the maneuver was completed near textbook perfect.



We landed as a two ship element and taxied back.

There was time for one more flight today before the heat and wind made it impossible.  I promised Bret that the next flight, I would photography the Mooney.

No comments: