Thursday, January 14, 2010

Suspicion on the Varanasi Express


It strained our “getting it together” skills but we did manage an early morning today and left Agra at around 8am, bound for Delhi. A final road trip with trusty Bilu and his little white Suzuki.

Not much to report except a delicious aloo parantha and chai, roadside, for breakfast. Then a brief stroll through Chandni Chowk (crazy, local textile market) before it was all aboard the sleeper train for Varanasi.

I write from my top bunk! Not a bad way to travel.
Osman and I find ourselves sharing a 4 berth sleeper area with just 1 other person. Mr Grumpy.
I named him that based on his behavior towards a young man who works on the train. He has not been grumpy to me… just a bit leary.

I think Mr Grumpy works for the government… he has some sort of name badge and carries a locked briefcase - chained to his hand. He has obviously dyed his beard - it’s orange. I know! I thought it must have sensitive documents or tons of cash inside too… perhaps the secret codes needed to blow something up or another 5 passports, each with different nationality and name, but the same photo inside?

Alas, from my perch, I was able to get a good look inside when he opened it. It contains only several average items of clothing, a fist full of 10 rupee notes and what looks like toiletries. Bor-ing!

But since I have nothing else to keep me occupied, am all hopped up on sweet, sweet chai and I do have laptop power up here, I decided to treat you with a pic of the briefcase … so you can see I was not exaggerating about the lock-to-wrist thing.

In the words of my brother…Bored much? Yes, just a bit... But then so are you if you are still reading!




Yes, since you noticed; Those are his trousers with belt on top of the case. He left, without them, to go to the bathroom!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: