Monday, October 07, 2019

Peru Day 8: Santa Teresa to Aguas Calientes

Holy crap! This might be a day that I relive forever, or live to regret!

In unison, these sound like singing bowls!

The Inca Cross



Saying goodbye to the chefs, Roger and Mario


We started out later from our bustling campsite, having been picked up by Vertikal Zipline and promised quite the adventure.

With gear fitting and our first safety briefing out of the way, we waddled our harnessed butts to the first of SIX ziplines. I should have known that hard hats and leather gloves hinted to what we'd really signed up for.




No kidding I was nervous. Heights are not my thing. But the first and second ziplines were pretty fine. Even the third was eh... not too bad.


But between the forth and fifth zipline stations, there was this suspension bridge, spanning a ravine. For whatever reason, I lost control of my common sense and decided that I'd conquer this fear today. I followed Kelli out onto the bridge!

Frightening? Oh hell yes! The wooden rungs, barely attached to 2 of the 3 wire cables beneath, were irregularly spaced. By that I mean, some were sooo far apart from each other that you had to actually step on the wire suspension cables to traverse the gaps!  WTF!? I was FREAKING OUT on a full nervous system level and weakly called out to Kelli with my dry mouth. Paralyzed by fear and hyperventilating... and only a third of the way across.

Kelli - ever the confident climber and competent nurse practitioner, turned to face me. She had me make eye contact and talked me through slowing my breathing.  I continued on and several more people from another group started out on the bridge behind me. About 15 yards from the end, those guys behind me decided that rocking the bridge would be super neat.  There may have been a point where I yelled "WTF, that is NOT ok!"

So yeah. I have ticked suspension bridge off my bucket list and can die before needing to do another. Like, ever!

Post ziplining, we were transported to the hydroelectric power station nearest Machu Picchu. From there we began a 12km hike along the railway tracks to Aguas Calientes.





Through banana plantations, engulfed by jungle, following a roaring river, beneath colorful cliffs and under a bright blue sky with warm sunshine, we hiked. Team Alex!









"Our dog" He followed us for 8km, then like a ghost, was gone again.


Despite the insect repellent that had been rubbed into most of my body (even under my clothes) I found myself the main course for half the tiny sand-flies in Peru. They were relentless and I had no idea how many bites I had until later that night!

It had been another perfect afternoon, enjoying the smell of the cloud forest and learning from Alex.  Blissing out in Peru. Arriving at 5pm-ish, we beat the train that had stopped to pick up our duffel bags at the hydroelectric station. Technical issues??

Alex, Kelli, Teresa and I used our "spare time" to suck down a couple of Pisco Sours and give Roger (our chef) a little send-off, before using hotel room showers (NICE!!) and regrouping after dinner for one more drink.



After that, the night is a bit of a blur. I believe we acquired dessert from street vendors before we lost all sense of decorum and the eyebrow event occurred...

No comments: