Sunday, September 15, 2019

Two weeks to Peru. Two peaks in one hike!

What I'd like to say is, every time I feel I'm in shape and ready to take on the Andes, I challenge myself with a new hike and excel.

The truth is that for every new challenge, no matter how far I feel I've come, the result is unimaginable fatigue later that day and a a day or two of no hiking to follow. Every muscle from core to ankles, shoulders to knees, reminds me I'm but a mortal with a middle aged body! Hahaha. And yet... I remain undeterred!

On Sunday, Dana and I decided to do South Boulder Peak. It fulfilled both of our needs to escape to the wilderness, my need not to drive too far, her need to stay below 10,000 (as she has a cold) and it was reportedly still a great challenge.

South Boulder Peak from the south trailhead of the Mesa Trail was apparently 5.5 miles. Or at least, we thought we read that. And with a gain of close to 3000 feet, it seemed like a good way to spend a morning together. Neither of us had done this particular trail either.


We departed the trail head at around 7:15am. The day was still cool and we were in good spirits, chattering non-stop. At first there was gravely dirt road, but then as we entered Shadow Canyon, it turned to steep, rocky path... one that required concentration to avoid spills and discover best route.

It was wooded and wonderful. That faint smell of pine needles, earthiness and the onset of fall.

Nearer the top (2 hours later) we found ourselves exposed. The wildfire that had taken it's toll here in 2012, still apparent. Burned trunks, baby aspens and low growing shrubbery. I had thought the forest bounced back quicker than that after a fire... I was wrong.




At the top of Shadow Canyon, the trail comes to a T intersection. Go left for 0.3 mile and you get to South Boulder Peak. Go right and you find yourself, also in 0.3 mile, at the top of Bear Peak.


South Boulder Peak
We went left, per the plan and struggled up South Boulder Peak, scrambling over boulders, large and small to finally reach the summit - seriously, the summit looks WAY easier that it was! There is no geological pin affixed to the top... you assume you are there, but short of a selfie, there is no proof!



Brunch. Just us, our power bars and nuts and the handful of chipmunks with a sense of entitlement and hungry eyes to rival any Golden Retriever! I threw a few cashews and almonds into the rocks as we packed up to leave. Winter is coming... a little extra fat and protein for them seemed understandable. Plus I'm a softie.


This was Bear Peak behind us. I was feeling kinda good still and wondered if I wasn't prudent to skip over the valley between, then up the ridge line to Bear Peak. Why not nail two peaks in one day when it was only going to add 0.6 mile to the distance?

Dana was less convinced. Back at the T intersection, she started back down Shadow Canyon as I headed up the ridge to Bear Peak alone. O.M.G. Sometimes, I just don't know what comes over me. Hiking on paper is definitely easier than hiking in the dry mid-morning sun, 8,000+ feet up in the sky.

Honestly though, Bear Peak from this point is not as difficult as South Boulder Peak (or quite as high) and it didn't take long before I was one of 4 people enjoying the view over Boulder from there.



View from Bear Peak to Green Mountain
View from Bear Peak back to South Boulder Peak
Then it was time to go. Back down Shadow Canyon, hopefully catching up with Dana before she got to her car. The trail through the woods was a welcome relief from the now hot sun and increasing dryness. I was almost out of water, which is utterly unheard of for me.


We reconnected about a mile from the bottom. Both of us water-less, parched and way more than just tired. Bodies hurting. Mentally and physically DONE for today. That was so not 5.5 miles!!!

The creek coming out of Eldorado Springs was a perfect place to "ice" our feet and debrief before going our separate ways. It was a good 15 minutes before the pain of spent feet was replaced with the pain of frostbitten feet. I had a tiny blister to show for my efforts today. And a large (and growing) appetite!


Until our next adventure, my friend... Thanks for lending yourself to yet another training challenge on my route to Peru!






1 comment:

Kathleen Nolan said...

I am so proud of you and your tenacity, Dallice!