Monday, July 02, 2018

In early 2018... Dust be gone!

 Not sure I mentioned this but post-construction, I was wrecked. Months of working hard in real estate, making thousands of decisions and spending more money than I'd really ever seen left me feeling physically, mentally and emotionally spent.

We moved in, built furniture, hung window treatments, organized and arranged, cleaned and cleaned and cleaned up again the dust and filth that got tracked in the house by sweet selves and pets from the mud-pit we called "front and back yards". We took little weekend trips away but always returned with joy - and dread - to the project that still needed doing.

Then January 2018 rolled around and I found I had the inspiration and energy to work on the landscaping once again. It's one of my happy places and as we suddenly lost my beloved Smokey Joe to cancer, I threw myself (escaped) into the yard to release grief, create beauty and lose myself in something that symbolized new life in many ways.

Finding the ol' river bed was a mission in itself. Digging it back out from packed construction debris and dirt was harder than I thought it would be!




With the idea of hiring a rototilling guy to loosen the dirt in prep for amending and installing sprinklers, I first had to clear the yard of "stuff that isnt dirt". Then along came this chap... I just love him!







After the first rototilling event, I had healthy composty soil delivered and we spread it. Rototilling commenced again! 




Next came Jeff and his nephew, Nick. They had one of the harder jobs... first the sprinkler system, then the fountain (God bless them for this!!!) and finally the sod.




As for the 1200lb fountain kit.... Yeah, I may have underestimated the planning and execution of that!
It took 4 engineering minds to figure out how to install it. NEVER AGAIN!













The miracle of 2017-2018 was that I didn't develop a drinking problem. Perhaps in no small part in thanks to my tight budget?












What difference day makes, eh?!




From here on out it did seem easier, I admit. 










Even the 'yet-to-be-planted' front yard was looking more special. But for sure, the time had come to put more effort into that too...















No comments: