Saturday, October 03, 2015

Camino de Santiago Day 8: Sansol to Logroño

One can never really be sure on the Camino if the stiff abs are from shlupping a 16 pound pack all the live long day, or it's the constant giggling that has overtaken my body for the better part of 22km. Either way, it's good for me and something to be grateful for. There are no other people I'd rather be "suffering" with than Tony, Sue and Chuck.

Ok, suffering is an exaggeration.











After discovering last night that most of Logroño is booked (albergues and hotels alike) on a Friday night, we took a leap of faith and booked a 3 bedroom apartment near the city centre.  Our host, Marian, meet us there on arrival.  We must surely look like pilgrims, as she rushed us with hugs and kisses at first sight.  Yeah, backpacks and convertible pants in an otherwise fashion-conscious city is a kinda give away!

Marian has bought us fruit from her own garden and was diligent about loading us with information and making us feel very welcome. It was so nice to be in a quiet clean condo and we all looked forward to our little slice of luxury.

Clean hair! (It's the little things in life. )

Tony was particularly excited to find a bath "tube" and was planning his soak within minutes. I must admit some of the highlights of my day are the little words and phrases that he uses.  Direct translations are pretty fascinating and can definitely be entertaining! Yesterday while the 4 of us discussed a yellow fruit growing on the Camino,  Tony explained that you make marmalade out of it. Apparently you take the "heart" out of the apple and fill it with said marmalade before cooking. He learned a new word - "core". I learned what a quince was!

Here is another priceless moment from Tony;
I travel with a handful of safety pins.  Using them as emergency buttons or zips... to fix broken boot laces... hang laundry on a washing line (or my pack)...or attach small things like gloves to inside pockets of my pack, so I don't lose them).  Several of my travelling companions have commented what a good idea they are and how they weigh nothing and take up little room. When someone needed solution to their problem other day, Tony suggested my "secret needles". It took us a minute to figure out he was referring to safety pins.

We ended or day in traditional Spanish style, heading out for tapas and watching the plazas and streets fill with people as it got later and later. It blows my mind to see families with tiny kids hitting restaurants and bars at 9:30pm, but it's kind of cool too.




No comments: