Thursday, October 01, 2015

Camino de Santiago Day 6: Mañeru to Estella

Clad in minimal sleep clothes and wearing my my blanket as a robe,  I zipped across the room to where my phone was still charging.  None of my 11 bunk mates were stirring yet. Huh...well,  6:10 AM was a bit too early and I really felt the need to sleep in a bit today.

I did my normal thing and slipped out of the albergue around 7 AM. Away I went, boots squeaking worse than ever on the cobblestoned streets, in an otherwise silent village.




This morning was different.  My right hip ached a bit, my pack felt a tad less comfortable and every other thought seemed to come from a dark place.  I was not my normal happy, morning-loving self. It was a lonely walk today... I was not enjoying my own company and there was a measure of self pity. I resented myself for dragging it along the Camino.





Somewhere along the way,  I realized it had been 9 days since I had a good hug from a person I know well.  I miss that intimacy and while there is a certain closeness that develops with people walking in your direction,  speaking your language and sharing your goal,  it's not quite the same comfort.

About a half hour later I was hiking down a steep gravel road when I heard an approaching car. A slow putt-putt. Around the bend appeared a little old car being driven by a little old Spanish man. He pulled stop along side me and waved through the window,  then rolled it down.  I have no idea what he said in Spanish but soon enough he pulled a green apple from the bag on his passenger seat and handed it to me. I was touched.  I burst into tears!


The tears continued on and off that morning and so I decided to quiet them with comfort food.  Café con leche and. ..... chocolate croissant.  No healthy Spanish omelette for this girl today!

It was not long before Tony joined me.  And then, Chuck and Sue caught up too! I'm not sure they realized how much their hugs meant this morning. It's really nice to have friends on the Camino.  :)

The four of us reached Estella in the early afternoon and enjoyed a fabulous lunch in the plaza, then a little sight seeing and shopping too.






I was so much more challenged today,  than any other day so far. Do you think a little bit of exhaustion carries over each day and accumulates?

A few days ago an Italian guy told me the Camino takes a month to change a person because the first 2 weeks are when you become physically changed and more able to deal. After that, a week to change your mind.  Another week for the spiritual change.

I'm becoming convinced the mental challenge is under way already.  Perhaps because I began the physical training earlier than most. (9/10 people here didn't do training hikes.  More than that never tried on their pack before arriving.  One person I met didn't have any idea how much her pack weighs, except to say it was more than her grand daughter! )




No comments: