Monday, December 29, 2014

Tahoe Scenic Flight

It had been 20 years since I last saw Lake Tahoe. I barely remembered it, but that was all about to change. Lew Gage and Mark had chatted about flying together and it was decided we could kill several birds with one stone. (I really dislike that saying!)

Leaving Reno at 10-ish, Mark flew while I enjoyed the scenic view that can only come with being in a small plane circling overhead.  It was beautifully peaceful and oh so calm down there. The flight was calm too... A nice change.







  

This is how the "other half" live. Their homes perched along the shore, their boats docked privately on the lake. Ahhh...   No, I'm not jealous. After all, I'm in N303B cruising Lake Tahoe, headed for lunch with friends.

We landed and talked airplanes...





We had lunch and took off again. The next (last) thing on our busy schedules this morning, was re-fueling the Bonanza at Carson City on the way back to Reno Stead Airport.

I flew the legs into and out of Carson City while Mark kept his eyes out the window. The airspace around here is complicated and well trafficked. I love my co-pilot!

Approaching Reno Stead the winds favored landing to the south on Runway 14 (see it at 11 o'clock tracking down to 5 o'clock on the pic below). Given that our hanger was on the west side of the airport (9 o'clock), we were going to have a "bit of a drive" after landing. Quite rightly, Mark suggested I land long to reduce the 10 mph commute.


Flying downwind for runway 14, I knew it was plenty long enough. What I didn't quite factor in so well, was the runway was 150 wide, making it look shorter than it was... Until I was flaring. Holy crap! I can barely see the edges of the runway. 


So, the landing was not bad, but I would say I was only a quarter of the way down it and the next 10 minutes were spent taxiing. I'm not complaining. It still counts for me to log the time!  The question is... Do I owe Mark some new tires?!  Those little wheels were not intended for long distance driving.

Ahh... good for a giggle though.



No comments: