Thursday, February 24, 2011

Let's go Shopping!


I woke at the crack of dawn, or sometime just before.
The sound of the nearby light rail reminded me I was indeed in Melbourne, sharing a bedroom with my mother (who sleeps silently, thank goodness) and about to embark on my first day, shopping in a new city.

It took the seven of us about 30 mins to figure out how the train system worked… despite having a “trial run” at the station the evening before, and it being one of the least complicated and most intuitive rail systems I have personally experienced!



Then… the fun and laughter began. It wasn't long before shenanigans in changing rooms kicked in, not to mention loud, politically incorrect jokes… making fun of each other and ourselves without a care to what onlookers might have been thinking.
The butt of most jokes was Lynn Marie… wheelchair bound and blonde… an easy target and good natured enough to take it… and take it again! Relentless were my mother and aunts, threatening to leave her locked outside stores in her chair, taking the brakes off while on the train/bus and watching her fly forward when it stopped suddenly, telling her to “grab the top rail” to brace herself. No matter how wrong it was, I had to laugh too. Damn funny, especially watching the faces of shocked Australians near us!
We spent most of the day in and out of clothing and shoe stores. Breaking up the shopping only to stop for food and coffee.


Everyone bought something… husbands across the world, be warned.
One of my favorite memories remains the shop that seemed to specialize in outfits with an animal theme. I just couldn’t help myself… the fur vests were hilarious and my day would not have been complete without photos of us trying them on. Watching my mother tie on a feathery shoulder piece while Lynn Marie donned a fur vest and stroked herself like a cat, cracked me up. Tears ran down my face and I doubled over, unable to straighten.




No, I didnt end the day with this long-haired beauty in my bag. Some things are just better left for more adventurous fashionista's. But I did come away with a couple of new dresses... Cute little bargains, my favorite kind.

No comments: