Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Heading Down Under


And so it began. A 1pm bus to DIA, boarding pass already in hand…. I was through security and in flight right on time.


Leaving Colorado.


Arriving into Australia at sunrise.

Sydney has a noise curfew, meaning our large aircraft was forbidden from entering the airspace over the city or landing at Kingsford Smith Airport before 6am and the only solution was to leave LAX a little later. No worries mate!
Once aboard, a quick check revealed the plane was almost full. How on earth I managed to score a row of 3 streets to myself I do not know… but I liked it. My plan, to have dinner then take a sleeping pill with a glass of wine and sleep the night away, was coming together. Except now, I found myself lazily stretched across 3 seats - with 3 pillows and 3 blankets - and once my earplugs and eye mask were in place, I did sleep the night away... Waking shortly before breakfast at approximately 4am and landing in Sydney close to 6:45am

I touched down at my final destination, Melbourne, an hour late and keen to find my mum, grandmother and aunts. As crazy as it sounds, finding them in the airport was easy. Mum and I had reviewed a map of the airport the week before and the plan to meet in a certain area was a good one. Without any trouble, I made my way to the main arrivals hall near their terminal. As I walked right up to nana, she failed to see it was me… and found herself in a hug almost before she knew what hit her!
Its true what they say… you only see what your mind knows is already true. She was not expecting me but thankfully the surprise was a good one.
By noon, the seven of us had arrived at our house for the week. We proceeded to unpack, shop for groceries and explore the neighborhood. The evening was rounded out with gin and tonics - which apparently lead to jumping rope/skipping!!!


Kathryn and Sue skip/jump rope together... or at least give it a good try!


Observing the entertainment... Nana, Pauline and Lynn Marie.

We hit the hay early. Every one of us had seen the early side of 5am.


No comments: