Monday, September 19, 2022

Packing for Antarctica

 Raise your hand if you have watched a dozen packing videos like me. 

Ok, so I know you haven't. I'm well aware of my obsessive-compulsive tendencies. It's normal for ME to pack months in advance even if it's odd for other people. We are still 3 months from departure and I've fielded packing questions already, which tells me that even though I deal with the jokes about my pre-packing, it must add some value too. 

Organizing aside, there are several great reasons for checking it once and twice, making lists and recording all that goes in a bag in preparation for a long journey to a place that would be tough to find gear if you lost, damaged or forgot anything. 

My system is as follows: 

1 Checked bag

1 Carry-on backpack for the overhead luggage bin

1 Personal item for under the seat in front of me


CHECKED BAG - Weighing in at around 30lb when stuffed. 

In this bag goes most of my gear. At least the gear that I plan on wearing. 

I have 3 packing cubes. 

The largest holds 4 long sleeved, 1 t-shirt and 2 singlet tops - all merino wool. I'll be actually wearing stuff from this bag on travel day too, FYI. For good measure and just in case Christmas or New Years Eve warranted something clean and mildly fancier, I have a silvery top in there too. There's yoga tights (who knows... maybe I'll work out at the gym onboard!), wool straight leg and wool tights and a pair of base layer bottoms.  Add to that a possum fur hat, electric gloves and socks and sheepskin liners for my sneakers - Don't knock it 'til you try it! Aside from the boots they give you onboard, I only plan on taking sneakers for the whole trip. Am I crazy? (If so, I have plenty of time to change my mind before we leave.) Yep, there are ski googles and polarized sunglasses in this cube too.  I've heard that ski goggles might be the ideal scenario on cold and windy days when the Zodiak is flying across the water, dodging icebergs in search of penguins, seals and whales. 


In the medium sized cube I have a basic full set of what one might need. Two long sleeved, one short sleeved and a singlet top in merino wool. A pair of blue wool base layer pants, black "wear for all occasions" tights and a pair of Goretex shell pants. A neck gaiter and hat, wool glove liners and minimal underwear and socks.
This cube will be swapped with one of equal size of Mark's. This ensures if one of our checked bags doesn't make it, we have a little of each others clothes in our bags to make do with. 


The smallest cube contains underwear, bikini and socks. Also another wool neck gaiter, balaclava and glove liners.


Taking up space elsewhere in my pack I have a toiletry kit - with hair ties, sunscreen, a tiny sewing kit and all the typical things a bathroom kit might contain. 

I have a first aid kit - minimal but should cover cuts and scratches, head colds, digestive issues and emergency antibiotics, along with pain meds, sleep meds and allergy meds.

One inner pack pocket sports some disposable handwarmers and a head lamp. 

The bottom compartment is where I keep the bulky ski pants, fleece, wool zip-up cardigan and warm jacket. Oh... and there might be a pair of down pants in there with the overnight camp-out in mind - but I am considering swapping it for an ultralight down quilt/bag to stuff in the sleeping bag or put in the carryon for use aboard flights.

We are given a puffy jacket and a waterproof shell as well as waterproof boots, when we get aboard the Ocean Endeavour.



I know what you are thinking! What about techy gear?! Camera, computer and the like?

I consider this to be much harder to replace - especially given how long it takes to "get to know your gear" and set it up how you prefer it. ALL of my camera and picture-related gear is to be kept in the waterproof carry-on bag and will never leave my side. 

CARRY-ON BAG - Probably 12-15lb

I'm taking two camera bodies and lenses.
Canon EOS 6D Mark II and its predecessor, Canon EOS 50D as a backup.  Both lenses are telephoto and since I don't want to switch lenses in Antarctic conditions, I'm hoping the range each lens offers will be good enough to capture almost anything.

Memory cards, card reader, hard drive, computer, battery chargers and all the lens cleaning bits and bobs will be in the bag too. I'm taking a basic, way light and very short tripod. And a remote shutter cable. Not sure if I'll be using these things but I feel there is room and why not?!

Also not worth losing is my giant kit of anti-nausea solutions. If you've heard of it, I probably have it. There is an extended version of what this includes, in the last post: Antarctica in T-100  Scopalamine patches are the only things I'd consider off-limits for myself. A wee bit of blindness is a wee bit too much when it comes to my photographic asperations.

I'm planning on putting spare sunglasses in here too. Good for Panama City and a good backup plan for the inevitable loss or breakage that my other sunglasses are statistically likely to succumb to.

Last but not least, a handful of clothes that I'll wear to-ing and fro-ing from Ushuaia. This includes 48 warm hours in Panama City and a jacket/warm layer for Denver and Ushuaia weather as well as overly air conditioned airplane temperatures. (I'll take one of the ones mentioned above, from the back pack.)

PERSONAL ITEM/TINY BACKPACK 

Final bag - the tiny daypack that attaches to the big back pack when required. This will serve as a personal item under the seat in front of me or a day pack for Panama City outings. While traveling it will contain the passport/vax cert/wallet essentials as well as printed flight, hotel and cruise info, lip balm, headset, eye mask,  journal and pen, phone and charger.  For sure Mark and I will sneak a pack of cards into this or his personal carry on bag. My trusty neck pillow will be bobbing around on the outside. What?! It's a long journey and sleep is important!


Between now and departure I'm betting a few things will change, but not anticipating too much to be honest. 

NOTE: If you are looking for discounted/end of season merino wool, fleece, shells, hats and gloves, I have a list of sites that I recommend:
Amazon.com - Every now and then random colors and sizes have really good deals. They don't last long and won't come back!

My preferences for brands that I trust are: Icebreaker, Smartwool, Odlo, Ortovox, North Face and Mountain Hardware. I try to support brands that have high standards when it comes to animal welfare and sourcing of materials. Im not packing DOWN to go to Antartica because unlike wool, it won't keep you warm if it gets wet.

No comments: