Tuesday, November 02, 2021

We're Expecting!

 Oh heck no! These ol' eggs are not going to be producing a baby, like ever... so halt that thought right now!

Even better than that is the decision to adopt. A PUPPY!

My dear sweet Marley had been gone 2 years in June and that was about the time I finally felt ready to bring another golden love into my life. 

I began the search online for breeders and puppy sources - but randomly stopped doggie parents and their kids on hiking trails and pumped them for info too.  After what felt like weeks of seeing puppy mill type operations (that you can never unsee!) I met a lady near Eldorado Springs who told me she got her lovely gal from a breeder in Idaho. It was an English Cream Golden IE: Almost white. 

Google is kinda the answer to most questions, so I simply asked Google to find me an English Cream Golden in Pocatello, ID. That's when I 'virtually' met Leslie Hugues of Six-Love Golden Retrievers... located in Pocatello. Turns out the lady on the trail had not adopted one of Leslie's golden babies but it was all of 2 minutes interacting with her before I realized in no uncertain terms that I had to get my next puppy from Six-Love. 

I was sent all manner of pictures and health test results from the breeding dogs that Leslie owns. They were members of her family, looked utterly content in their life on 2 acres and I loved that she spent considerable time and effort to socialize and train each pup before they went to their new homes. Leslie got to know their personalities and was eager to match them to homes that would be a good, healthy and happy fit. She spoke my language.

Sven (the dad) and Lola (the mom):

Fast forward to August and both Lucy (6) and Lola (2) appeared to be pregnant. We were on the list to nab one of Lola's pups and I was SUPER excited! Leslie kept me updated the whole time. First with an ultrasound showing proof of pregnancy, then tidbits like when she could feel the puppies moving, pics of the growing belly and then, my personal favorite - the xray taken just a few days prior to birth.



Lola is currently nursing 6 of her own puppies and helping out as 'wet nurse' when needed, to some of Lucy's pups who are 4 days younger but weren't growing as fast. She is a stellar mom. A natural caretaker who honestly appears to love her new role.

Here are some pics from the first 2 weeks. 











*There are 4 male puppies in Lola's litter. At some point we'll be selecting the little guy that will come home with us mid December. I can't wait!

In the meantime I will update this post with more pics as able, so come on back to watch them grow!

No comments: