Friday, August 23, 2019

The Great Bear Chase of 2019

Today, with the Foothills at my doorstep and the temperature not even close to oppressive,I ventured out at 6:45am, to conquer Royal Arch, alone. Two weeks ago I impressed myself with a 49 minute car to summit time, but felt I could push it harder today. I gave it my all... and then some!

The Royal Arch trail is about 3 miles round-trip. 95% uphill with steep steps and some scrambling will get you up 1100 feet to the view that makes it all worthwhile.  (Yes, it's rated as difficult with an average 18% grade. It shouldn't be the first hike you do from sea level!)

That extra thick red line in middle is the part the bear and I walked "together".

My last personal best was circa 2009. I was just back from some long hiking days in Chile and Argentina and I was 10 years younger. My time to Royal Arch in 2009:  45 mins.

Today, Strava clocked me in at 42 mins from car to Arch! I was well pleased with my efforts and pretty much skipped down the trail, back toward the car.

Look closely at yellow sky to see 5 hot air balloons!

About 300' from the Royal Arch trail start sign, I spotted a bear on the trail. I mean, right in the middle of the trail... looking at me. With little room to pass him and even less inclination to give it a go, I decided to see who would make the first move.

He did! And just like that, a large bear began to walk toward me.

I did what I was supposed to do. I jumped onto a large rock, made some noise and waved my hiking poles around over my head. Sending the message that I was large and loud and shouldn't be trifled with, was a giant fail. He moved closer, picking up his gait.

They say don't run from a bear. "They" being people who aren't being chased by a bear, obviously. I turned and jogged a little further back up the trail... UP. Yes. I was tired already and now a bear was forcing me back up a steep trail!

The next 10 minutes were like this: Dallice stops, takes pic or video of oncoming bear, bear smirks, Dallice keeps moving back up the trail. (Repeat 4x). Bear stops for a snack in the dry river bed, then proceeds up an even steeper section and Dallice finds herself headed for Royal Arch AGAIN.









For the first time ever, the trail is devoid of all other hikers!!! WTF!
Phone a friend, time.

Dallice: "Julia!  Im being chased by a bear. What should I do?"
Julia: "You sound out of breath."
Dallice: "I just hiked Royal Arch in personal best time. Didn't bring water. Now having to hike back up the hill because bear is following me. I am out of breath!"

Hahaha

Shortly thereafter, a group of 3 hikers and a dog on leash came up the trail behind the bear. It skedaddled into the canyon and I was able to joke about my experience with them before heading, once more, back down the hill to the car. (FYI, I did over 1300' in elevation gain today, which means the bear chased me up the extra 200+ feet vertical! Im guessing over about a quarter mile distance.)


It's almost Fall. The bears are getting ready to hibernate. Time is ticking... if a bear has "scare a hiker" on their 2019 to-do list, they have only a few months left to act.

That sound you hear in the forest? It's cubs giggling.









1 comment:

FlyGirl said...

Wow, you had a day! Glad you are safe--and congrats on being excessively fit. This is not a good training mode, though. Do avoid it in the future!