Monday, October 29, 2018

Welcome Home Wrigley!

When one door closes, another door opens.

Just over a week ago, Mark and I closed the door on an epic Moscow -> Beijing adventure. We had the best time, traveled well together, experienced 3 "new to both of us" countries and took 5000+ photos to document our journey.

At the end of that 4.5 weeks we were both ready to go home though. We love our life in Colorado, missed our friends and colleagues and clients and couldn't wait to see our dog again.

And there was one more thing...

In April this year we lost our beloved Smokey Joe to cancer. He left a quietness in the house and a hole my heart that would be hard to fill ever again. Smokey Joe was 13.  I adopted him in 2005 from the Boulder Humane Society.


Obviously I was going to need another cat at some point. After all, talking to a cat is weird for some people, but talking to thyself is something more people find weird. 

We decided that it wouldnt be right to adopt before a long trip, but after, well that was certainly on the cards. And all the way home, I clung to the thought of getting a kitten!

It wasn't but 5 days after arriving home that I began the hunt for our next furry child. It didn't matter color or sex... All that mattered was personality and age. We wanted a youngster and I needed a conversationalist/purr monster.

Friday October 26th:  I found kittens had been added to the Boulder Human Society website. Mark was still at work, but with his blessing I took Donnie and skedaddled right down there to check out the goods.

Of the 3 kittens that were added that day, 2 were on hold already!!!  But guess what?  No. 3 was completely adorable, totally interactive, purred at the slightest touch and fitted in the cat carrier that I had stashed in the car!  

I love this picture of Donnie and Wrigley!!!

Meet Squeakums. Soon to be renamed Wrigley - partly because Squeakums didn't seem to fit that well and partly because Wrigley was wriggly! This guy at 2 months old and <2lb, is a blur most of the time. 


He has the attention span of a gnat and thrives on motion. Wrigley "hunts" everything! But when steam runs out, the first place he turns to, is my lap. What a snuggly kitty he is.

Mark, Wrigley and I spent most of the weekend getting to know each other. Wrigley has more than enough "crazy" built in to keep us laughing for a lifetime. He already (mostly) comes when called and sleeps each night on the bed with us. He is attentive and adorable.


Welcome home, Wrigley! 

We love you to bits!




No comments: