Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Trans-Mongolian Railway : Swan Lake at the Bolshoi

I might have mentioned in our itinerary that we were attending the ballet in Moscow. You didn't know I was a fan, did you?  Me neither until a few years ago. But there is something mesmerizing about it... dancers who train from near birth, bodies that are out-of-this-world, gymnast-like athleticism, artistic choreography and drama playing out with beautiful lighting and costuming. And on the other end of the spectrum is me.... I'm kinda clumsy if we're being honest!

Going to the ballet is like stepping into someone else's world. It's enchanting.

The Moscow Ballet is the epitome though. It's the nearest thing to perfection in this field and if I was ever going to be in Moscow, attending ballet at the Bolshoi historic theater was on my bucket list.





Around March, shortly after we booked tickets to Moscow, I went looking for Bolshoi ballet tickets. Trouble was, the schedule was not yet published and not expected until May/June for the September events. I put myself on a list for notification and early ticket purchase when the time came... then forgot about it.

In June, I was out with clients when I got a text message. The Bolshoi schedule had published. It was another 2 hours before I was home and could seek out tickets online. In those 2 hours the "cheap seats" sold out! (And I use the term "cheap" very loosely because well, they wanted something close to your first born, for a good seat and possibly only your 4th born, for the least expensive ones.)

I bought Mark and I "second from the cheapest" seats and we were thrilled to add this experience to our first night in Moscow. By thrilled I mean we intend to stay awake the whole 2:45 hour performance but understand that this could otherwise be very expensive nap, given our two days of traveling to get this far. (We have/had no kids, so before you get your panties in a wad, let me tell you we didn't pay via human exchange, we paid by credit card.)

The service that I bought the tickets through guaranteed the seats but tickets are not emailed out until 2 weeks prior.  Once again, the ballet tickets slipped from my mind and we continued to plan the rest of the trip.

Fast forward to last week and I received an email:
It informed me the economy tickets, middle of the 3rd circle were unable to be secured for us, so per their guarantee for those or better, we were getting BETTER!

Now we are the proud and excited owners of tickets to Swan Lake at the Bolshoi, in the first Circle... box seats.  Holy crap! In my wildest dreams I never saw myself sitting in a $995 box seat at the Bolshoi.





Oh my.... Feelin' fancy!

Definitely drinking coffee before the show, definitely.

PS: I'd offer to take pics while there, but it appears that is impossible. No recording devices allowed in. Will you settle for a picture of the brochure if there is one?

No comments: