Thursday, August 26, 2010

Opening up... it's good for the soul


Since the day we signed a lease to rent this house, I envisioned an open kitchen.
After we bought it, I longed for, prayed for, begged for an open kitchen!!!

All it took was a large beam...


The expertise of our neighbor, friend and contractor, Jim...


And LOTS of load-distributing wooden structure in the attic, before we could hack that kitchen wall into pieces and drag it out of the house.

Before:
The blue line is my best effort and demonstrating the shape I would like the new kitchen island to be.


During:
This is harder than it looks!

After:

Aside from some minor inconveniences - ducts, electrical outlets, old TV antenna wire and our programmable thermostat, the deconstruction was a piece of cake!

The dust and debris that was akin to a bomb going off in the house was not super ideal, but I still maintain it was worth it, just to get this far.

No comments: