Today, we pushed further. The goal was 15 miles. And luckily for us, the plan involved starting at a trailhead just 10 mins from here, walking 7.5 miles, breaking for brunch on the porch of the Chautauqua Dining Hall, then hiking back.
In the beginning, just before sunrise; It looked like the most perfect day for hiking, we shared the Lower Big Bluestem trail with mammas and their hefty babies.
Soon after, we took the Upper Big Bluestem trail to join the Mesa Trail, then passed Shanahan Ridge, NCAR and Woods Quarry turnoffs on our way to Chautauqua.
With new insoles for both of us, this was a solid test of gear as well as legs and mental commitment, but 7.5 miles later, as we got seated on the dining porch, both of us were feeling remarkably great.
So how was the trek back? Actually pretty darn good.
Feet. ✓
Mental game. ✓
Gear. ✓
Mental game. ✓
Gear. ✓
And... we found a rattlesnake... who was as calm about the whole situation as I was, considering he almost got stepped on and that's his signal to react!!!
I thought he was seriously beautiful. That's a first for me. Am I becoming a snake person?!
Then there was a wee water break and the obligatory selfie of the toe-socks before a gentle downhill back to the car. 15 miles done and dusted. I was proud of us - after we woke up from our post-hike nap!


















No comments:
Post a Comment