Tuesday, August 25, 2026

The Snowy Range camping experience

When was the last time I camped with Kris and Charles, you ask? A while... like a long while ago!

Friday, June 25th, 2010 to be specific. LOL. A good illustration of why I blog, am I right?!

On August 20th, Scott and I packed up and packed out. We were headed 3 hours away, to the Snowy Range of Wyoming, via Laramie. The car was FULL. I questioned a few of the larger choices and wondered (sometimes outloud) if we needed all of it. (Easy-Up?!)

Cruisin' through Centennial with a hankering for ice cream, we stopped at a little parlour/gift store. The Country Junction was overflowing with cutesy premature Christmas items and a large selection of ridiculously funny dish towels and whatnot. Giggles ensued. Definitely worth the pitstop.

Back on the road, we caught up with Kris and Charles at the campsite they had reserved for us - so lovely!!! 

We pitched tent, harnessed our inflatable mattresses together, unpacked the double sleeping bag and made tracks for the little river over yonder, where happy hour turned into dinner of finger foods and yummy things. And wine. Halleluyah!






The next morning we were up and out kinda early... Early for us, who needed more than a little downtime after quite the busy month. 




Coffee was made, Scott's homemade burritos were devoured, and we followed C&K to Mirror Lake for Scott's first fly fishing lesson. 

I hiked and scouted wildlife; it made my lens and my relaxed self, happy.












The afternoon was a bit quieter. Scott and I blissed out down at the river. Him with his fishing tackle; me with bare feet and tripod in the cold water, trying to capture some of the essence of nature around here. 






It's ok to take a nap...



We shared a perfectly lovely evening of BBQ'd ribs and games with Charles and Kris... then rounded out the evening at the card table inside our tent, playing Nertz! 


Mirror lake had been stunning but busy today. Lots of paddle-boarders and fishermen. I had an inkling that at day-break, the early rays of morning would light up the white mountains all pink and Mirror Lake had the best chance of being a mirror then, and only then. 

The alarm went off extra early; we set off an hour before sunrise... and were rewarded!





The perfect time to enjoy a bit of a hike too:




Life is good!
Tonight we shared brats ... I had to eat my words with said brats and sauerkraut when the showers became downpours and it became clear that Scott's Easy-Up was the right answer for keeping the entire picnic table dry. Yep... I had doubted the need for it!


Just like that, 3 days in WY had come to an end. We packed up and trekked home the next morning... Back to the exciting task at hand; Moving Scott into 285 Martin Drive!

No comments: