Monday, March 16, 2020

Typhoid Mary? Who me?

Just to clarify before anyone becomes (more) afraid of me...

  • 10 days ago, I traveled to a place that had no COVID-19 cases. (Unlike Colorado when I left.)
  • I took all precautions re: sanitizing my tray table, arm rest, buttons and controls around my seat and I didnt use the bathroom on the flight.
  • On return through Stockholm 4 days ago, they had started getting community spread virus (like Colorado). But it's not like I was mingling... no galleries, museums etc for me. I had a hotel room to myself and I walked in the city, vs taking Uber.
  • I also spent 2 hours in the airport at Reykavik, Iceland, where there was plentiful soap, hot water and hand sanitizer. I didnt buy food or drink here. But there were plenty of other people traveling to the US too. They MUST have had exit interviews, like me and passed!
  • Then I slept on the plane or spoke to my two seat neighbors (I had the window seat). It was bulkhead seating and the row in front was 6 feet away. My neighbors had their own packets of Chlorox wipes. They had not been to Iran, china or Italy.


Then I came home and had to go to the supermarket (where I wore gloves, FYI) and wasnt sure whether to laugh or cry at the hysteria that was taking place.

OMG people!!!

Hoarding copious amounts of toilet paper in preparation for an illness that doesnt cause diarrhea?
Buying quantities of fruit and veges that you cannot eat in time before they rot?
Aside from a pastry chef, does anyone need 10lb of butter? 
My personal favorite... Avoiding Chinese food?! What the heck is wrong with you?! Shame, shame.
And then there are all those unhelpful posts on Facebook and the 24/7 "Coronavirus news" playing.
An uptick in people drawing all their money out of bank accounts and stashing it at home.... then buying guns to protect it!

Who is bathing in fear and ignorance and wondering 
why they feel like crap? Are afraid? Judgmental? 
Be honest. 

The truth is less dramatic. It will only make you feel better if you take a few deep breaths and try just a teensy bit to believe I'm not walking around like Typhoid Mary, one breath away from sending you to the hospital. Likely, neither is anyone else who loves you.

I have no symptoms. I feel fine, thanks for asking.
As a PRECAUTION, Im social distancing. This is not the same as quarantine and in fact quarantine/isolation is reserved for people who have symptoms, been in direct contact with someone who is sick with virus or has had a positive test.

As of this afternoon, there have been 160 positive COVID-19 tests in Colorado. 7 in Boulder County.
Colorado has a population of 5.8 million people.
Take a deep breath. Leave room for the possibility that you might be ok. You'll feel better.

No comments: